Brainspotting (BSP) is a powerful, focused treatment method that works by identifying, processing, and releasing core neurophysiological sources of emotional/body pain, trauma, disassociation, and a variety of other challenging symptoms. Brainspotting (BSP) makes use of the natural phenomenon of where you look affects how you feel through its use of relevant eye positions. Together, the therapist and client pair a fixed eye position and body sensation to an unresolved issue. This rapid, highly effective mind/body centered therapy technique appears to go beyond the cognitive awareness and connects one to their body’s innate wisdom to heal itself.
We all have experienced trauma in some capacity, whether it be from distressing events, adverse childhood experiences, unmet emotional needs, or abuse and neglect. These are called big “T” and little “t” and we all have them.
Brainspotting is a therapeutic tool for everyone with a variety of issues. If you are new to therapy and are looking for a way to change patterns of behavior, BSP can help resolve the emotional and physical pain that keeps you stuck in those patterns. If you have been in therapy before, but have the sense that your work could go deeper, BSP can take therapy to another level of healing. If you are uncomfortable with talking about your past traumatic experiences, this modality will enable you to heal without having to tell or retell your story. Lastly, BSP can be used to enhance performance, creativity and create regulation in your brain and body.
Applications for Brainspotting (BSP) include the following but are not limited to:
- Physical and emotional trauma
- Anxiety, phobias, OCD
- Injury and accident recovery
- Trauma from medical interventions and treatment
- Stress and trauma related medical illness
- Performance and creativity enhancement
- Fibromyalgia and other chronic pain conditions
- Addictions (especially cravings)
- Environmental illness and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Preparation and recovery from surgery
- Mass trauma including war and natural disasters